It’s amazing what a little time can do for my ability to cook.
I’d heard about the greatness called quinoa years ago. Before The Hero years ago. I tried it back then and it was a disaster. To this day I don’t know what I did wrong.
Not the one to be defeated by food, I decided to give it a try again. I added a little chicken bullion and it was great.
Then I came across this quinoa salad recipe a few days ago. I thought it would make a good addition to dinner and lunch this week. I figure in a day or two all of the flavors will be all mixed together and it will be awesome.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
adapted from Skinnytaste.com
- 1 box Near East quinoa (rosemary and olive oil flavor)
- 1¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 small can sliced olives, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced (from 1 English)
- 1 container of grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- Drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa blend, water and chicken bouillon. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the vegetables: dice the red onion and cucumbers and cut the grape tomatoes in half. Rinse and drain the olives.
- Spoon quinoa into a large bowl. Add the onion, cucumbers, grape tomatoes and olives. Drizzle with about a teaspoon of olive oil. Add lemon juice and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Can be refrigerated or eaten at room temperature.