I got this lime cookie recipe from a Martha Stewart Christmas cookie email. When I saw the recipe, I figured it would be ideal since I LOVE lime-flavored everything and butter cookies.
Whenever I try a new recipe, I like to read the reviews to see if there’s anything I should do differently to insure fantastic results. Unfortunately, the three reviews were mixed: one came out perfectly, one not so well and one just was the standard ‘this recipe is good. Thanks.’ That being said, I decided to prepare the recipe as written.
Bad, bad, bad. The dough was extremely soft. I must generate loads of heat in my hands because after rolling the dough out and trying to cut out one star shape (maybe five minutes), the dough was so sticky and limp that I had to roll everything back up into a ball and put it back in the freezer to start all over again.
So I give you this recipe with a slight modification in the instructions. The cookies taste fantastic though and are worth the effort.
adapted from Martha Stewart
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest, plus ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes total)
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Put sugar and lime zest in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on medium speed one minute. Set aside.
- While the sugar mixture sits, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl; set aside.
- Add butter to the sugar mixture and mix until fluffy, about two minutes. Mix in vanilla and lime juice. Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in flour mixture.
- On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough in half. Pat into about a 10″ circle, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until stiff, about 30 minutes.
- Place the frozen dough on wax or parchment paper and cover with another piece of wax or parchment paper. Roll to about ¼” thickness. Repeat with other disk. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove one rolled disk from the freezer. Cut shapes from dough with a 3” cookie cutter. Space 1” apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining disk. Reroll any scraps on parchment freeze for 30 minutes and cut.
- Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.