So when it first came out, I wasn’t feeling Jill Scott’s new album Light of the Sun, but now, it’s on repeat, particularly Blessed and So In Love.
No, I’m not about to get all sappy and goo-goo eyed, BUT I will say that music has a way of adjusting my mood for a moment and my way of thinking for a while. For example:
- When I’m pissed off, you can best believe Three 6 Mafia’s Most Known Unknown is somewhere close.
- When it’s time to get baking, I’m playing get crunk music which includes Crime Mob, Ludacris, Lil John (yes, I know), and the Hustle and Flow soundtrack. I don’t know why this music inspires baking, but I have my best ideas when I hear ‘It’s hard out here for a pimp….’
- Time to get to a different mind state? Enya and Sweetback. Sometimes I crank the classical too. I particularly like Wynton Marsallis Plays Handel, Purcell, Torelli, Fasch, and Molter.
- Gym music is such a motley collection. Old Nirvana, Metallica and Nickelback. Some 50, definitely Nas and a whole mixtape of The Roots.
- Connecting to my sista girl beauty: Jill Scott, Badu, The Roots, Dwele, Raheem, Adrianna Evans, Zhane (yeah, I took it back) and Lauryn Hill.
When I’m grateful and feeling fantastic…. um…. wow. I guess there are too many different genres and artists to really list in this bullet. My top three songs right now though: Mary J. Blige’s Beautiful Day, Musiq’s Momentinlife and Jill Scott’s Blessed.